Are you constantly hot, even in the middle of winter? The camisole has become your garment of choice, no matter the time of year? Do not despair! Know that there are solutions to fight hot flashes associated with menopause.
HOT FLASHES: AN IRRITATING SYMPTOM
Menopausal women who suffer from hot flashes will tell you all, this is the biggest disadvantage of menopause. They can affect many aspects of your life, from the quality of your sleep to your social relationships. But rest assured; several solutions can be implemented to relieve hot flashes. Learn how to master these so that menopause does not make you hot or cold!
Estrogens are hormones that have the ability to regulate body temperature. During menopause, there is a decline in estrogen production by the ovaries. As a result, about three in four menopausal women live with hot flashes. Although this symptom is safe, it is the main reason why women finally opt for drug therapy to get through menopause more easily.
HOW TO RECOGNIZE THEM?
- Hot flashes occur suddenly, especially in the chest, face and neck. They disappear spontaneously.
- They usually last a few seconds, but sometimes several minutes.
- They are accompanied in some cases by redness, sweating, chills, palpitations and even, rarely, dizziness.
- They can also occur at night.
The frequency of hot flashes varies from one woman to another, but some may have twenty a day. No wonder it can have an impact on mood and quality of life! Hot flashes are more prevalent in the first few years after menopause. In general, their frequency decreases with time. However, they can persist in some women, hence the importance of getting adequate relief.
HOW TO RELIEVE DAILY?
The first step to relieve hot flashes is to change one’s lifestyle. These few tips can decrease the frequency of puffs and the effect they have on you:
- Cool off! Take an ice cold drink, moisten your face with a wet washcloth, use a fan, take a cool shower if possible, enjoy an air-conditioned place and, if you can afford it, equip yourself with a air conditioner at home.
- Pay attention to your diet. Tea, coffee, alcohol, spicy or hearty meals all contribute to the occurrence of hot flashes. Better avoid them or, at least, do not succumb too often to temptation!
- Choose wisely your dress. Yes, the camisole is the new friend of many women, but the important thing is to choose clothes made of natural fibers (cotton, linen, wool). Avoid tight fitting clothes that prevent your skin from breathing. Favor the overlay of clothing rather than wearing warm clothes; this will allow you to remove one layer as needed, regardless of location and season.
- Breathe! A good breathing technique can reduce the level of stress, which could help lower the body temperature according to the researchers.
- Exercise to maintain a healthy weight. Yoga or gentle physical activities like walking or even swimming can be beneficial.
- Stop smoking.
HOW TO TREAT THEM?
If changes in your lifestyle are not enough to relieve your symptoms, you can opt for different treatments:
- Although controversial, the use of hormone treatments (estrogen supplement with or without progesterone) is still an effective option for hot flashes and other symptoms associated with menopause.
- Some non-hormonal prescription and non-prescription treatments are also available to women seeking relief. However, they may be less effective than estrogen supplementation.
Regardless of the treatment, it is important to understand that it may not be suitable for all women. Hormonal treatments are especially not recommended for women who have had breast cancer or who have a history of clots. It is important to consult your doctor to make a wise and safe choice. Your pharmacist can also offer you valuable tips on how to use your medicine.
In conclusion, the hot flashes associated with the menopause represent certainly an inconvenience for those who suffer from it. However, it is comforting to know that there are several solutions that you can try and adopt daily to improve your quality of life. It is possible to relieve hot flashes to resume your activities in hand. See the future with freshness and do not let the hot flashes dictate your driving!